HOLLY SPRINGS, Miss. – The Rust College Cross Country program is aiming for visible improvement and to take steps forward in 2020 after a disappointing campaign last year.
The Bearcats retain Isaiah Cooper for the upcoming season, posting a top-45 finish during a personal-record time of 49:49.2 in the 8,000m.
The men will see freshmen compose half of its roster as three of its six members will be participating in their first collegiate action at the GCAC Championship.
The Lady Bearcats welcome back Chelsea Robinson to the fold after a top-45 placement in the conference during a personal-best run of 42:16.2 during the 5,000m.
The women’s team will have a fair number of upper-classmen with one senior and two juniors in the mix but none of them ran cross country for Rust College in 2019.
Rust is not competing in any non-conference meets and will only run in the GCAC Championship event.
2019 Men’s Finish: Seventh Place
2019 Women’s Finish: Seventh Place
Acting Head Coach: Stanley Stubbs
Top Men’s Returners:
· Isaiah Cooper (So, Vicksburg, Miss.)
Key Men’s Runners Lost:
· Justin Marshall (Top-35 personal-record time in GCAC at 42:07.7 during 8,000m)
· Ridwaan Page (Top-45 time in GCAC at 47:54.9 during 8,000m)
· Harold Johnson (Top-50 time in GCAC at 57:52.2 during 8,000m)
Top Men’s Newcomers:
· Jordan Jackson (Jr, Jacksonville, Fla.)
· Allen Williams (Fr, Cleveland, Miss.)
· Tremaine Calloway (Fr, Atlanta, Ga.)
Top Women’s Returners:
· Chelsea Robinson (So, Houston, Miss.)
Key Women’s Runners Lost:
· Alaneshia Bullock (Top-35 time in GCAC with 34:51.5 during 5,000m)
· Elisha Webb (Top-45 time in GCAC with personal-record of 42:16.8 during 5,000m)
· Shelleka Bennett (Top-45 time in GCAC with 42:16.9 during 5,000m)
Top Women’s Newcomers:
· Lisa Crawford (Sr, Belzoni, Miss.)
· Zikerria Pressley (Jr, Mobile, Ala.)
· Sharday Richardson (Jr, Sardis, Miss.)