By Fred Singleton, Sports Information Alabama State,
ATLANTA, Ga. | Jayden Sloan’s RBI single in the top of the ninth gave Alabama State University a 9-8 walk off win over Florida A&M University at 2023 SWAC Baseball Championship on Thursday at Russ Chandler Stadium.
The Hornets erupted for five runs in the bottom of the ninth to erase an 8-4 deficit. Cristian Lopez’s double down the right field line tied the game to set the stage for Sloan.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ali Lapread two-run double gave the Hornets a 2-0 lead in the first inning.
- Will Brown had an RBI triple in the second, and Sebastian Greico got a run home with a sac-fly in the third to tie the game 2-2.
- The Rattlers took a 5-2 lead in the fifth. Joseph Perini and Will Brown had RBI singles, and a run scored on an error.
- Ian Matos delivered a two-out double and scored on a Hay single up the middle to cut the FAMU advantage to 5-3 in the fifth.
- Sebatian Greico hit a two-run home run as part of a three-run eighth to give FAMU an 8-3 lead.
- Lopez singled and scored on a wild pitch to end the eighth inning down 8-4.
- Alabama State erupted for five runs in the bottom of the ninth. Randy Flores walked and scored on a wild pitch. Matos and Hay. worked one out walks, and Lapread singled to load the bases. Matos scored on a Corey King sacrifice fly, and Lopez doubled in Hay and Lapread to tie the game, 8-8 and set up Sloan’s RBI single.
ON THE MOUND
- Adiel Melendez (2-0) earned the win, working 1.1 innings. Melendez yielded a run on two hits with a strikeout.
- Zach Morea (4-3) took the loss for the Rattlers, giving up two runs on three hits with three strikeouts.
INSIDE THE BOX
- The Hornets had three extra base hits, all doubles, and lead the SWAC with 227 extra base hits.
- Alabama State had double digit hits for the 40th time.
- Lapread had two hits with a double and two RBI.
- Lopez drove in two runs on two hits with a double.
- King, Hay and Sloan had RBI singles.
UP NEXT: Alabama State awaits the winner of Prairie View A&M and Florida A&M on Friday at 2 p.m. (CT).