By Brian Howard
RUSTON, La. | The Grambling State University women’s tennis team wrapped up Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) play on Saturday afternoon and for the first time in decade, defeated rival Southern, 4-1, at the Louisiana Tech Tennis Complex.
Grambling State (3-13 overall, 3-6 SWAC) won the doubles point and picked up three of four singles matches to claim the victory.
– Southern won at No. 1, but Grambling State earned victories at No. 2 and No. 3 to claim the point
– At No. 2 doubles, the team of Ana Ochoa and Takudzwa Mawisire bested Paris Washington and Kourtni Stewart, 6-3
– The team of Claire Machisa and Georgina Kaindoah topped Olivia Jenkins and Sasha Taruberekera, 6-3
– Southern tied the match at 1 as Washington bested Mawisire, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 3
– Kaindoah knocked off Nandi Munyulwa, 6-1 6-2 at No. 4 to give GSU the 2-1 lead
– The Lady Tigers extended the margin to 3-1 at No. 6 as Machisa defeated Jenkins, 6-4, 6-2
– Grambling State captured the match with a win at No. 2 as Lungile Ntuli topped Takalani Molaoa, 6-4, 6-2
Grambling State closes out the regular season on Saturday, April 16 at Louisiana Tech.