By Brian Baublitz Jr., Sports Information Director – Tuskegee
MEMPHIS, Tenn. – The Tuskegee University volleyball program had its backs against the wall during the SIAC Cluster’s finale against Lane on Saturday, but rallied all the way back from down two sets to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, 3-2.
· Final Score: Tuskegee 3, Lane 2 (17-25, 20-25, 25-22, 26-24, 15-12)
· Records: Tuskegee (2-2, 2-2 SIAC) | Lane (1-8, 0-3 SIAC)
· Location: Memphis, Tennessee – Bruce-Johnson Hall
· Series History: Tuskegee Leads 31-8
· Winning Streak: Tuskegee (W1) | Lane’s Last Win: October 11, 2019 (3-1 – 23-25, 25-23, 25-20, 28-26)
How It Happened
· The Dragons and Tigerettes exchanged 3-0 runs to open the night.
· That would be the only tie of the first set as Lane never trailed, taking as big of a lead as nine at one point to take the opener (25-17).
· The second began as a seesaw affair with nine ties over the first 30 points, including a knotted score of 15 each.
· LC went a tear thereafter, stringing together seven straight to pull away at the end en route to a win and a two set cushion (25-20).
· The Dragons spotted TU a 5-3 advantage before staking claim to a 15-12 upper-hand near the halfway point.
· Tuskegee wound up on a 5-0 rally to forge ahead (17-15) before Lane answered back with five of the next six (20-18).
· The Crimson and Old Gold were staring match point in the face as they trailed 22-20 with chances fleeting but ripped off five consecutive points to keep the match alive and win the third game (25-22).
· Coach Perkins’ ladies held an early upper-hand, posting nine of the first 13 points (9-4).
· Lane returned fire with a 9-1 stretch to move in front before TU tied the score at 13.
· The two teams were neck-and-neck over the following 22 points, resulting in ten ties to reach a 24-all stalemate.
· An attack error by Lane’s Bre’elle Hawkins and a thunderous kill from Erin Jackson swung the momentum back onto Tuskegee’s side as the match went the distance for a deciding fifth set (26-24).
· The final game looked bleak for the ladies from TU as Lane charged ahead to obtain a four-point lead, 10-6.
· The Tigerettes proceeded to live up to their nickname, roaring back with five unanswered to move ahead 11-10.
· LC grabbed the lead once more at 12-11 but Tuskegee slammed the door shut on the Dragons, garnering the final four points of the match to complete the comeback and even its record at 2-2 (15-12).
Tuskegee Top Performers
· Erin Jackson spiked a season and game-high 15 kills with just five errors for a hitting percentage of .270 as well as producing seven digs.
· Santana Lewis tied her career-best with four service aces against the Dragons, topping 30 assists for the second time in four matches (30) and registered eight digs.
· Jazmine Green has emerged as the club’s top defender so far in 2021, racking up a personal-best 25 digs on the evening and multiple aces from the line (2).
· Chase Holloway had her best game to date, setting new highs for points (7.5), kills (5) and aces (2) along the way while recording her first career block.
· Two other true freshman got their “firsts” out of the way as Ahyma Person logged a kill and Kayla Garmon put together a season-high five points plus an assist.
· The win was Tuskegee’s first over Lane College since 2018 as the Dragons from Jackson, Tennessee swept the 2019 series.
· Lane won the battle but lost the war, dominating in every statistical category of kills (53-39), aces (15-13), assists (47-34) and digs (64-54) but came up empty in the most important column, the win.
The Tigerettes will look to build off this momentum over its two week hiatus, not returning to the court until Friday, September 24 for the SIAC Crossover against the East Division in Cartersville, Georgia.